As an essential cofactor of glutathione peroxidase,1,2 selenium is an important antioxidant.3,4 Selenium is incorporated into proteins to make selenoproteins, which are important antioxidant enzymes. The antioxidant properties of selenoproteins help block cellular damage from free radicals. High doses of vitamin C (over one gram) may enhance the absorption of selenium. This mineral is best taken in conjunction with antioxidant supplements, such as vitamins C or E.5-8
Se-Methyl L-Selenocysteine (SeMC) is a naturally occurring seleno-amino acid that is synthesized by plants such as garlic and broccoli.9-12 SeMC is an organoselenium compound and also more bioabsorbable than other forms. Unlike selenomethionine which is indiscriminately incorporated into proteins in place of methionine, SeMC is selectively incorporated into seleno-containing enzymes, i.e. selenoproteins, such as glutathione peroxidase.13 These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Cell Biochem Biophys. 2010 Sep;58(1):1-23.
- Annu Rev Nutr. 1999;19:1-16.
- J Natl Cancer Inst. 2003 Jan 15;95(2):98-100.
- Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Jul;80(1):154-62.
- Biol Trace Elem Res. 2013 Mar 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- Am J Clin Nutr. 1989 May;49(5):862-9.
- Biol Trace Elem Res. 1990 Feb;24(2):109-17.
- Cancer Res. 2003 Oct 15;63(20):6988-95.
- Mutat Res. 2004 Jul 13;551(1-2):181-97.
- J Agric Food Chem. 2001 May;49(5):2679-83.
- J Am Coll Nutr. 2002 Jun;21(3):223-32.
- Adv Exp Med Biol. 1996;401:179-87.
- J Nutr. 1998 Nov;128(11):1845-54.
Serving Size 1 vegetarian capsule
|Amount Per Serving|
Selenium (as Se-Methyl L-Selenocysteine)
Other ingredients: rice flour, vegetable cellulose (capsule), ascorbyl palmitate, silica.
|Dosage and Use|
- Take one (1) capsule daily, with food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
- DO NOT EXCEED RECOMMENDED DOSE
- Do not purchase if outer seal is broken or damaged.
- When using nutritional supplements, please consult with your physician if you are undergoing treatment for a medical condition or if you are pregnant or lactating.
To report a serious adverse event or obtain product information, contact 1-866-280-2852.