5-lipoxygenase (5-LOX) is a member of the lipoxygenase family of enzymes. It transforms fatty acids into leukotrienes. Excess levels of the enzyme 5-LOX sets in motion inflammatory responses that have been linked to common effects in aging individuals.1-5
Normal aging results in higher-than-desired levels of 5-LOX.
The typical American diet adds to the danger. Foods rich in omega-6 fatty acids like red meat, poultry, eggs and dairy products, along with high-glycemic carbohydrates, trigger overproduction of arachidonic acid. In response to high levels of arachidonic acid, the body produces the 5-LOX enzyme.
5-LOX breaks down arachidonic acid to pro-inflammatory compounds like leukotriene B4,6 a molecule that mediates attacks to joints, arterial walls, and other tissues. 5-LOX itself facilitates undesirable cell division changes.7,8
The good news is that an extract of the Indian plant Boswellia serrata has been shown to neutralize 5-LOX. Used for centuries to help with inflammatory factors, boswellia acts as a natural 5-LOX inhibitor, intervening at the cellular level to block its unwanted effects. Confirmatory data reveal that a compound contained in boswellia called AKBA (3-O-acetyl-11-keto-ß-boswellic acid)9,10 is the key to its beneficial action.
The problem is that boswellia is poorly absorbed into the blood.11 For this reason, a patent-pending, standardized form of boswellia called AprèsFlex® is being introduced. AprèsFlex® absorbs into the blood 52% more than previously available boswellia extracts.11
Each 100 mg vegetarian capsule of 5-LOX Inhibitor with AprèsFlex® is standardized to provide 20% of active AKBA from boswellia. Most people need only one capsule a day. (See references below) These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Serving Size 1 vegetarian capsule
|Amount Per Serving|
AprèsFlex® (Boswellia serrata) extract (gum resin) [std. to 20% 3-O-acetyl-11-keto-ß-boswellic acid (AKBA) (20 mg)]
Other ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable cellulose (capsule), silica, vegetable stearate.
AprèsFlex® is a registered trademark of Laila Nutraceuticals exclusively licensed to PL Thomas – Laila Nutra LLC. U.S. Patent No. 8,551,496 and other patents pending.
|Dosage and Use|
- To inhibit the 5-lipoxygenase enzyme, take one (1) capsule daily with or without food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
- DO NOT EXCEED RECOMMENDED DOSE
- Do not purchase if outer seal is broken or damaged.
- When using nutritional supplements, please consult with your physician if you are undergoing treatment for a medical condition or if you are pregnant or lactating.
To report a serious adverse event or obtain product information, contact 1-866-280-2852.
- Neurobiol Aging. 2007 Sep;28(9):1457-62.
- Cardiovasc Psychiatry Neurol. 2009;2009:174657.
- Free Radic Biol Med. 2009 Jul 1;47(1):62-71.
- Rejuvenation Res. 2009 Feb;12(1):15-24.
- Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2011 Mar 30;35(2):315-9.
- Curr Opin Investig Drugs. 2009 Nov;10(11):1163-72.
- Carcinogenesis. 2006 Sep;27(9):1902-8.
- Clin Cancer Res. 2005 Mar 1;11(5):2089-96.
- Wien Med Wochenschr. 2002;152(15-16):373-8.
- J Ethnopharmacol. 2006 Sep 19;107(2):249-53.
- Mol Cell Biochem. 2011 Aug;354(1-2):189-97.